Friday, March 9, 2012

Introduction to Digging Deeper

Greetings. I wanted to start out my blogging career with a description of why I am writing this blog at all. Purpose before action is an important thing to me, and I hope to allow those who read this blog to understand my heart and purpose for creating this space. A little over three weeks ago I turned 25, which might strike some as unimportant, but it seemed signifcant to me, and perhaps a jumping off point for reflection and search for meaning of who I am, where I stand, and what is important to me. I know I am not 50 or retiring so why all the self-reflection? Well first, I am in a counseling master's program, and self-reflection is not only the name of the game, but it literally is a game (we practice on wednesdays), but also I have always had a focus on myself internally (i'm an introvert, what can you do?) and what I am doing with my life, almost like a life report card (unfortunately there are no discounts for high grades). It has always been important to me to dig deeper in my life, with people, with God, and in issues that are important to me. "The unexamined life, truly is not worth living" rings true to me in many ways. As I was pondering this certain inclination of myself, I slowly began to realize that digging deeper is a giant area that seems unimportant in American society. Shallow is replaced for deep connection, and no one is the wiser (did you hear about the ipad 3?!?!). I am guilty of this consistently as well, but in turning a quarter century, I felt it time to start a discussion that might be challenging and maybe push you to go deeper with yourself, and others. I don't know about anyone else but I love discussions like the one I am describing, and you know when you have just had one, because it's all you think about for hours or days. It changes you, it makes you think, and makes you feel something. I want that for this blog, and I want that for myself, so I ask will you dig deeper with me?

No comments:

Post a Comment